Listen and Follow
View the Recording Session
Considering the world’s brief history of writing technology, it’s easy to believe that most of the world’s knowledge has been obtained through stories.
Stories have served as documentation, education, and persuasion. Today, you can’t go to a marketing event without someone teaching the art of storytelling.
Why? Because humans love stories – we just don’t all know how to communicate through stories.
And even more so, we don’t realize how, as business people, stories can be used to effectively communicate and move people to action.
My guest this episode is a global thought leader on authentic leadership and business storytelling.
She has worked with some pretty amazing organizations such as The Obama Foundation, Ernst and Young, Visa, Amazon, National Australia Bank, and Uber just to name a few.
She is also an author of 7 books and her latest, Magnetic Stories debuted at number two on Australia’s business books list.
To share insights on Storytelling for Business, I’m happy to welcome to the podcast, Gabrielle Dolan.
Gabrielle, I have to admit that as a Marketer – I’ve heard many people attempt to drive home the idea of Storytelling. But the reality is that there is no doubt that business people need to understand how to tell stories more effectively.
- Why is it so important for a business person to understand storytelling?
- I want to get your take on storytelling by bringing some insights for both Sales professionals and Marketing professionals – separately.
- For a Sales professional – can you give an example of how a salesperson can use Storytelling to do their job?
- And for Marketers – beyond the cliches, they are telling a brand story. What can an individual marketer do to utilize storytelling in their job?
When a person hears “Brand Storytelling” – they may first think of “what is the origin story” of the brand. But I’m guessing it is much more than that.
- Please give us some insight, even a definition, of Brand Storytelling
- Can you give us a few practical bullet points to consider when seeking to begin Brand Storytelling?
- What about using storytelling within a company to help a leader be more effective?
Personal Branding and Storytelling
I’m preparing for a new keynote in a few weeks. The entire keynote originated from an actual series of events in my life. I look at the keynote as more of a Storytime with value. I expect that the story I share with this audience will become a pillar of my personal brand.
- Can you give some advice to our listeners on how to tie personal stories to help them in business?
- Can you tell me a story? I want to see a business story in action.
Thanks for listening to The Business of Marketing podcast.
Feel free to contact the hosts and ask additional questions, we would love to answer them on the show.
Producing a podcast is only one part of your overall podcast strategy. The most important question that you should ask as a podcaster, especially if your podcast is tied to your business, is…“What actions do you want your podcast listeners to take when they find your podcast?”
Gini Dietrich and I dive into both Marketing and PR to discuss the intersections of the two and if they are perhaps growing into the same thing in the modern digital world, Gini’s role and expertise as the Founder, CEO, and author of Spin Sucks – a digital marketing agency and book, her creation of the PESO model, digital media, and more.
Darrell Evans and I discuss the concept of “full-service” marketing agencies, Darrell’s role and expertise as the Co-Founder and CEO of Yokel Local – a digital marketing agency, growth marketing as a service niche, internet marketing, and more.